Sunday, October 23, 2011

H2OMG!

The very first habit I've listed in my HEALTHY HABITS! section above is drinking water.  I can't even stress how important it is.  Sure, we all know the body is mostly made up of water--cells have about 65-90% [1].  But do you really know the power it possesses [I hope you heard that in a Darth Vader voice!]?

IF NOTHING ELSE will motivate you to drink it (and we've all been there!), it honestly helps your skin look better in a relatively short amount of time.  Here is how I can easily tell if my water consumption is down and my non-water consumption is up: my face, as in the amount of pimples (or spots or acne or whatever you wanna call it) I have.  When I'm drinking a lot of water and not much of anything else, my face is clear.  Actually it was my dearest roommate who first made the observation that since we embarked on this journey her face was a lot clearer than it ever has been.  This made me realize it had been awhile since I'd used my concealer.  Thus I started paying closer attention and realized the more water (and thus less non-water) I drank, the clearer my skin was regardless of what I was eating, how stressed I was, or the time of the month.  Pretty darn cool if you ask me.  Especially given it's free :)   Not everyone in the world has access to free and safe drinking water, so please don't waste it [I'm trying REALLY hard not to quote Dirty Dancing right now]!

Want more scientific benefits to water?  Coringe [2] shares 10 cool things you may not know:
  1. Water prevents DNA damage and make repairs more efficiently.
  2. Water increases the efficiency of the immune system in the bone marrow, including against cancer.
  3. Water is the main solvent of all foods, vitamins, and minerals; It used to break down these materials and metabolism and its assimilation.
  4. Water gives energy to the food, so that food particles could provide energy during the digestive process.
  5. The water used as conductor of all substances in the body.
  6. Water increases the efficiency of red blood cells capture oxygen in the lungs.
  7. Water cleaning toxic waste from different parts of the body and took it to the liver and kidneys to be excreted.
  8. Water is the main lubricant in the joint cells and helps prevent arthritis and back pain.
  9. Water cooling system is important for the body (through sweat) and heating the body (electrical).
  10. Water helps reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
How do you like them apples?  Mmmm...apples are another amazing food--okay superfood if you like "it" jargon.  But that is a discussion for another post!  In the meantime, DRINK MORE WATER!

~a little salt for your tequila and lime (for prevention of scurvy)...followed, of course, with a big ol' glass of water!

No comments: